Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft (XHTML5 and XHTML2)

> On Jun 15, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>

>> XHTML5 needs to use the same namespace as XHTML 1.0 to maintain
>> compatibility. Since XHTML2 doesn't have compatibility as a goal,
>> I don't see why they need or want to reuse the namespace. But if
>> they want to use the same namespace as XHTML5 it probably does not
>> matter, since it's unlikely any implementation will be supporting
>> both at once.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Maciej

I don't think XHTML2 has a goal to break compatibility (that's
largely been a misunderstanding floating around the community). My
understanding was that it had intended to maintain the HTML namespace
all along an that the other namespace was simply a temporary one to
use during the development of the spec. Furthermore XHTML2 maintains
backwards compatibility with HTML4 and XHTML1 in a way that we do
not. It has no clean slate policy, but instead tries to maintain
elements and attributes from prior W3C recommendations.

However, the issue of namespace is one I've thought of raising. It
strikes me that the redefinition of elements in HTML5 (that keep the
same names) actually introduces a new namespace (but without properly
declaring it). In other words, the "i" element is defined completely
differently than HTML4 defines the "i" element. To me, this means it
is no longer in the same namespace since the same name now means
something entirely different. Adding attributes to an element of the
same name would remain in the same namespace. Further clarifying the
use and meaning of an element from the HTML namespace would similarly
preserve the namespace. However, the redefinition of semantics for an
element really introduces a new namespace.

Take care,
Rob