Re: Getting Serious about WebID Bootstrap

From: ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:14:15 +0000
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Cc: "public-rww@w3.org" <public-rww@w3.org>, WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
Excerpts from Kingsley Idehen's message of 2012-09-28 11:36:21 +0000:
> All,
>
> Bootstrapping anything on the Web requires technology implementer to use
> (dog-food) whatever technology they seek to promote to others. Thus, I
> would like to encourage every participant in the RWW and WebID community
> groups to make a best-effort to start signing emails, moving forward.
>
> Naturally, these emails should be signed using an WebID watermarked
> X.509 certificate. Certificate generation choices include:
>
> 1. Native generators that come with your desktop OS -- Mac OS X,
> Windows, and Linux all include such a utility
> 2. Certificate generators from WebID IdPs -- I have a list here:
> http://delicious.com/kidehen/webid+webid_idp (ping me if you have a
> generator that's unlisted) .
>
> Over the last year or so, I've written a number of how-to guides [1]
> covering how to sign emails across all the major native email clients.
>
> Once again, if we don't sign our emails we loose a simple opportunity to
> showcase the utility of WebIDs and the WebID authentication protocol.
> Being able to follow-your-nose from a WebID that watermarks an email
> senders certificate is a very simple utility showcase for both WebID and
> Linked Data.
>
> We can do this!
>
> Links:
>
> 1. http://bit.ly/VTnxzz -- collection of G+ hosted howtos (for all the
> major native email clients) covering how to digitally sign emails .

currently i use terminal based client 'sup' (similar to mutt) which can sign using PGP, i consider switching to http://notmuchmail.org and use some browser based frontend to it ex. https://github.com/peterkeen/speedee

any suggestions on signing emails using browser based email clients?