Re: Browser UI & privacy - a discussion with Ben Laurie

On 10/5/12 2:46 AM, Ron Garret wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Dick Hardt wrote:
>
>> … a somewhat tangential comment.
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2012, at 8:10 AM, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>>>    $ Identifier:   A data object that represents a specific identity of
>>>       a protocol entity or individual.  See [RFC4949].
>>>
>>> Example: a NAI is an identifier
>> Easy to  agree to.
>>
>>>    $ Identity:   Any subset of an individual's attributes that
>>>       identifies the individual within a given context.  Individuals
>>>       usually have multiple identities for use in different contexts.
>>>
>>> Example: the stuff you have at your Facebook account
>> Not so easy to agree to.
>>
>> I would argue that your identity is everything about you, your Facebook data being part of your identity. Saying I have multiple identities is confusing. There is only one of me. Any slicing becomes challenging as there are no sharp lines between who I am on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or LinkedIn. There is lots of overlap.
> There may only be one of you, but there are legitimate reasons for one person to want more than one identity.

Yes, but identity is inherently nebulous. That's the problem. Identity
and context are always interlinked.

> Satoshi Nakamoto, for example, is (almost certainly) one of multiple identities belonging to a single person.

Yes, because that identity understood the implications associated with
building a functional digital currency that would ultimately have
ramifications for the status quo.

>   Julian Assange and Gottfrid Svartholm probably wish they had taken similar precautions.

Yes!

> rg

Founder & CEO