Re: Identity interoperability

On 11/13/12 9:36 AM, Henry Story wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2012, at 15:11, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 11/13/12 7:44 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>>

>>> On 13 November 2012 13:28, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
>>> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On 11/13/12 6:43 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>>>
>>>         Hi as promised during our last teleconf [1] I put together
>>>         an Identity Interoperability wiki page
>>>
>>>         http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/Identity_Interoperability
>>>
>>>         This is the beginning of something that could end up
>>>         becoming a very large project, so it is
>>>         clearly just a beginning, with some initial pointers.
>>>
>>>              Henry
>>>
>>>         [1] http://www.w3.org/2012/11/09-webid-minutes.html
>>>
>>>         Social Web Architect
>>>         http://bblfish.net/
>>>

>>>     Great Wiki doc!
>>>
>>>     OpenID is based on XRD documents, you can make whatever claim
>>>     you want via the content of said document type.
>>>
>>>     Example:
>>>     http://linkeddata.informatik.hu-berlin.de/uridbg/index.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fkingsley.idehen.net%2Fods%2Fdescribe%3Furi%3Dacct%3Akidehen%40openlinksw.com&useragentheader=&acceptheader=
>>>     .
>>>

>>> Nice page!
>>>
>>> So the "principle" in OpenID terms would be the "subject", in this
>>> case acct:kidehen@openlinksw.com
>>> <mailto:acct%3Akidehen@openlinksw.com> using webfinger?
>> Yes.
>>
>> 'Principal' and 'Subject' are synonyms re., terminology used to
>> denote what an identity claims graph describes.
>
> I don't think so.
>
> In Java the class Subject is reserved for the collection of all the
> different principals that have been proven refer to an agent.

This isn't about Java.

I am the Subject of my X.509 certificate. Ditto my FOAF profile
document. In both cases, I am also the principal. In both cases I can
denote myself using a URI.

> I think therefore that subject is the thing identified by any
> principal, not the string that is the principal.

I didn't say anything about strings/literals.

>  Subject is I think widely understood to be the subject of a
> connection, the agent itself. Principal is a very technical term,
> which I use here to identify the string identifier itself.

Principal is used across many protocols (CardDAV, CalDAV, many others)
and it means the identity of some entity that can be authenticated.

> I have defined Principal much more carefully here
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/Identity_Interoperability#logical_relationships_of_principals

I'll take a look. But it's best to use these terms in line with usage
elsewhere.

Random excerpt from vCard extensions spec [1]:

" Support for creating address books on the server is only RECOMMENDED
    and not REQUIRED because some address book stores only support one
    address book per user (or *principal*), and those are typically pre-
    created for each account."

The term 'User' denotes an entity that a system would need to verify .

Links:

1. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6352#section-7.1

Kingsley