Proxy and Cache Question

On 1/16/12 4:48 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>> >  I don't see how anyone wouldn't understand "mirrored claims" from the above.
>> >  Assertions are made in two places that are semantically equivalent in human and machine discernible ways.
> Ok. So this is starting to be a definition.
>
> What it the difference between a cache and a proxy? Or are these the same?

You can have a proxy URI, which in our case is a de-referencable URI
that handles all the nuances associated with Linked Data. You can
de-reference said URI en route to a graph comprised of other proxy URIs.
We use this approach to make Linked Data graphs that are guaranteed to
possess full Linked Data capability.

The same approach applies to bridging of protocols. Basically, what you
see in our WebID+OpenID bridging which is not different to what existed
re. openid4.me. It too was using Proxy (or Wrapper) URLs.

As for cache, this comes into play with regards to change-sensitivity
handling via cache invalidation schemes. In our case, we have default
schemes as well as those you can override. In SPARQL and the SPARQL
protocol we allow the use of pragmas for controlling cache etc.. Thus,
our proxy/wrapper URIs also include cache invalidation smarts that
leverages what HTTP already delivers.

At their very best, our proxy/wrapper URIs allows anyone (or those
constrained by ACLs) to progressively construct and exploit Linked Data
while ultimately enriching the burgeoning Linked Data Open data cloud (a
massive Lookup data space). Think about the whole world playing a jigsaw
puzzle game (that never really ends) while continuously producing new
and useful insights for a variety of profiles, where discovery of these
insights is increasingly serendipitous due to ever increasing link
density in the LOD cloud :-)

I am most interested in getting a billion WebIDs in the LOD cloud cache,
pronto! It can happen if we don't slow ourselves down by being too
provincial about  WebID re., target publisher, developer, and plumber
(integrator) profiles.

Founder&  CEO