Re: Certificate Triplify Challenge

On 1/12/12 1:21 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> Let me now jump to the more positive parts of Kingsley's reply.
>
> On 12 Jan 2012, at 03:54, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/12 8:06 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>>> In the grey box below we have put the URI which is the name for a
>>> document served by an apache server. The name is one thing (it has
>>> 21 characters) the document is another thing (it contains a public
>>> key and many more characters, and can change over time)
>>>

>>> When, as in this case, the URI _refers_ to a document, the sense and
>>> the reference of the URI coincide: they are both the document, or
>>> information resource referred to.
>>>
>>> But with "https://bblfish.net/#hjs" things are different. That URI
>>> refers to <https://bblfish.net/#hjs> ie to me. The sense of the URI
>>> can be found at <https://bblfish.net/> which is a document, the same
>>> document we were discussing in the previous diagram.
>>
>> In computer science terms e.g., 'C':
>>
>> 1. https://bblfish.net/#hjs -- "*" (de-reference / indirection unary
>> operator)
>> 2. https://bblfish.net/ -- "&" (address-of unary operator).
>
> yes, that is interesting. This is very likely where we got the idea of
> dereferencing URLs from. So this is a good time to see if this analogy
> is a good one. Ie, we have to see where it holds and where it does
> not. I don't think I ever looked at that carefully, and since we use
> these terms in the spec quite a lot, it is a good time to consider this.
>
> So in order to answer this I first had to remind myself of C
> addressing since it has been some time that I have not used it. I
> found a good tutorial here
> http://augustcouncil.com/~tgibson/tutorial/ptr.html
> <http://augustcouncil.com/%7Etgibson/tutorial/ptr.html>
>
> [...reading...]
>
> In C the address-of operator '&' is an operator that takes a variable
> and gives you an unsigned int.
> 4:   float fl=3.14;
> 5:   unsigned int addr=(unsigned int)  &fl;
> So if we apply this to URIs then we would need a function from URIs to
> their addresses, which could be expressed as an
> owl:FunctionalProperty. Let us call it :addr
>
>   "https://bblfish.net/#hjs"^^xsd:anyURI  :addr   ?addr1 .
>   "https://bblfish.net/"^^xsd:anyURI         :addr   ?addr2 .
>
> It turns out that the value of the :addr relation is not determinable
> a-priori, since one needs in http for example to follow the possible
> redirects to be able to determine what the value of it is. So for
> example it is quite possible that following statement satisfy the
> above query:
>
>   "https://bblfish.net/"^^xsd:anyURI         :addr
> <http://bblfish.net/index.html> .
> Now what is the equivalent of the C de-reference * operator for us?
> This is a function that when given an address, returns the value of
> that address. There is a relation in existence that does this log:content
> ( see http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/Reach ). I am not sure that
> relation is exactly what we are looking for, as it says "for
> [...]

Some additional pointers (so to speak):

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-pJlnpkLp0 -- nice video (404 is
better than that loud noise of Dr. Watson of yore re. system faults)
2. http://www.w3.org/2001/12/semweb-fin/timbl-1989-image.gif -- WWW
design document, just overlay documents (a type or resource) with URL
and then apply URI to the things described by the documents.

Founder&  CEO