Re: OAUTH setup for webid : getting an ODS client to "Connect" to my profilepage

On 1/11/12 3:11 AM, Peter Williams wrote:
> I deployed a authorization guard at my idweb site. if an OAUTH token
> is sent to the webid endpoint, its evaluated using webid validation
> logic, assuming it contains a cert in the OAUTH claims. If I gave out
> the key, I dont see why an OAUTH v1 token could not  be formualted
> directly, rather than doing what is now described.
>
> The scenario fits one of our products, that is a thick client (using
> web services, including rest-based web services). How would I make it
> apply the webid world (since its not a browser)?

You should be able to simulate a non browser UA using cURL re. RESTful
interaction patterns. Then we get into pem, .p12, and local keystore API
bindings on the client side re. WebID.

> The UA has the users signing key, shared with the browser - since they
> are on the same windows machine typically. All apps on windows share
> keys (given security rules). A demo UA signs a SAML2 token targetting
> the my webid profile resource which the resource STS in the cloud
> converts into an OAUTH v1 token (signed using an hmac known between it
> and the profile's guard). This is returned to the UA, which installs
> the OAUTH token into the www-auth header accompanying the web request,
> which thereby forward the name and the cert (as signed by the cloud).
> This only happens if the cloud has verified the certificate and SAML
> assertion's signature classically (with no webid rules) The guard
> receiving the www-auth header then evaluates the additional webid
> rules (with no PKI rules), since it has a cert (much like SSL delivers
> a cert). Failed or happy verification returns an exception (403 or 200).

Yes.

This is just more inter-protocol plumbing.

> Anyways got some kind of validator up in the cloud, using the cloud
> STS to do the heavy validation, leaving to the webid validator
> handling of the one particular extension (and modulus/exp) webid cares
> about. This allows the edge devices (i.e. the cloud STS) to be
> shielding mere resource servers from DOS - and enforcing proper cert
> handling, cert chain discovery etc.
>
> Not going anywhere, but its fun to see how webid will surely evolve -
> and work with all the othe security technology families. Seems to have
> a nice fit, once divorced from SSL.
>
> Ok. tomorrow, can try again at SSL. Lets finally see what Azure does
> with client certs, since there is load balancer in the way.

Okay.

Founder&  CEO