Re: Matter of DN and what's possible

On 1/9/12 4:58 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2012, at 22:49, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 1/9/12 4:44 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>>> yes I see. So, you are saying you are a document. Why do you want to do that?
>> He is saying, a document at an address holds my description!
> Ah and what if that document contains the description of 10 people?

But why would it? How does that question not apply to a # style of HTTP
URI?

> Are you saying that the query we should ask should not be
>
> PREFIX :<http://www.w3.org/ns/auth/cert#>
> PREFIX xsd:<http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#>
> ASK {
>     ?webid :key [
>        :modulus ?mod;
>        :exponent ?exp;
>     ] .
> }

of course not!

> as described here https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/index-respec.html#verifying-the-webid-claim
> that is after the ?webid ?mod and ?exp have been replaced with the values from the certificate but rather
> should be
>
> SELECT ?webid
> WHERE {
>     ?webid :key [
>        :modulus ?mod;
>        :exponent ?exp;
>     ] .
> }
>
> where only the ?mod and ?exp get replaced?

I don't see the queries being relevant to the critical issue at hand.

A # URI carries implicit de-reference and Name/Address disambiguation.
Most miss it completely. WebID cannot be about a style of URI. It should
just be about URIs.

If you have a SAN with multiple HTTP scheme URIs where one functions as
a Name and another functions as an Address, you put the burden of
disambiguation on the WebID verifier implementor. Today, most won't be
able to determine that a SAN has > 1 URIs in it where:

1. a document URL (a kind of URI) holds the description of a subject
2. an subject Name URI identifies the subject of the description in #1 .

All of the above is swept under the covers via the convenience of #
style of HTTP URI based Names.

So what's wrong with mandating # based URI re. WebID you might be
wondering? We'll for starters, look at the mess that lies in wait re.
libraries and frameworks that don't implement HTTP properly i.e., they
send the # over the wire. Just as experiments here have demonstrated
repeatedly, and this is right here, the home of the WebID grokers!

Jurgen isn't confused about being a document. He understands that he has
an identifier that's described by a directed graph borne/carried by a
descriptor (information) resource (a document type) accessible at an
address.

There is not escaping the luxury tax that comes with HTTP URI based
Names re. Linked Data. This is what I continue to try to shed light on.

At this juncture I leave it to Jurgen. I am confident he'll get you
there :-)

Kingsley

> Henry
>
>> --