Re: Thankyou for saving my sanity...

On 1/8/12 12:16 AM, Henry Story wrote:
> Yes, I agree. But then what are you going to propose as a solution to
> Peter Williams? Microdata? But there is not RDF mapping for it that is
> official, and so he would have the same problem of the project working
> in some servers one way, and other servers another way.
>

>> You have no reason for not giving RDFa and Microdata equal billing
>> re. WebID. Peter's consumer profile will work fine with Microdata as
>> he will soon demonstrate. This is basically what we've long handled
>> by working with AtomPub or "Cut and Paste" to blogs (e.g. WordPress,
>> BlogSpot and others).
>
> Please help Peter Williams by publishing his data with the xhtml mime
> type, and all will be done.   Or ask him to wait.

He can't achieve his goal with RDFa, simple as that. He can using
Microdata. It's all about the convenience of mime type: text/html when
you don't have control over the HTTP server of a given data space on the
Web. All browsers support HTML5 and as a positive side effect, they
support Microdata, so when Peter puts a chunk of HTML+Microdata in
Wordpress, Blogspot etc.. he can complete his consumer profile QA. He
can do plumbing without gutting anything. It's convenient and non
disruptive.

> But I agree this issue does have to be solved. Think of RDFa as being
> in the spec with the caveat that those specs get finished and the rdfa
> micro data wars get resolved. I can add a note on that subject to the
> spec if you wish. Peter Williams seems to be very happy to have a
> markup that works in html.

We should give Microdata and RDFa equal billing [1] for publishers. On
the verification side, there are already a number of RDFizers out there
that take Microdata input and return RDF formats.

> Another solution is to have a link from the web page to a turtle file.
> Perhaps Peter Williams can explore that option for us from a consumer
> perspective - if we understand the type of link required.

Consumers will not be doing anything with Turtle. The profile for Turtle
is a Linked Data developer.
> Henry
>

>> Links:
>>
>> 1. http://any23.org/ -- Any23 converter that makes the RDF variant of
>> eav/spo graphs from many syntaxes that includes Microdata (even
>> better for you its Open Source and Java)
>>
>> 2. http://rdf-translator.appspot.com/ -- ditto and it used RDFLib
>>
>> 3. http://rdf.greggkellogg.net/distiller -- ditto and Ruby based.

Links:

1.