Re: describing, crawling, https schemes, https and session guards, OAUTH

On 1/7/12 10:28 AM, Peter Williams wrote:
> The OAUTH approach is one way, and will depend on maturity of your own
> protocol engine and that in MIcrosoft Azure STS (giving me OAUTH,
> now). I will play with this as I want to qualify the maturity of each.
> So far, Ive stayed away from OAUTH, not wanting to be in the first
> wave attack.

Okay, just get going. Our implementation is pretty mature.

See how OAuth works with a Virtuoso SPARQL endpoint at:
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtOAuthSPARQL .

Additional responses follow below...

> [...]
> old iron faucets. It doesnt need to reinvent the faucet itself,
> though. I think you did that, because of the consistency of the
> meta'ness. You didnt get side-tracked into webAPI with REST, or
> changing how trust should happen in the world, or any of the other
> dogmas (that come later, in my world).
>
> Another option is to use VPNs. Azure comes with "cloud-easy" VPN
> technology for middleware builders. Its NOT the old cisco-layer2
> dialup concept. Its about hooking a cloud presence to the enterprise
> presence, so servers can be in each location on the same subnet. Since
> its targetting Windows programmers (like me, not the most intelligent
> members of the species), it has to "just work" and controlled cost
> (and typically be cheaper than a $100k US person doing linux), and
> work with legacy apparatus of several generations. Specifically, it
> allows cloud hosted intances in that highly controlled space to talk
> to: the enterprise directory, and enterprise hostsed SQL servers. This
> allows me to have my cert minting server in the cloud, for example,
> but talk to N "domains" (actually, unlinked forests), each one minting
> certs using said central minting server using enterprise group policy,
> and auto-populating the certs  (with SANs) ready for use, as
> controlled by the domain manager (not the central minting service). I
> dont need VeriSign to do this kind of scaling for me, I can do it
> myself, now, courtesy of (advanced deployment modes) of windows and
> Windows Azure.
>
> I could also be dropping a (simple) endpoint into your server farm
> (its an install that fashions a virtual network adapter), providing
> thereby a route to that which is not present on internet visible
> endpoints. It could be giving AUTHORIZED crawler thus a
> private  endpoint, over which it then crawls such authorities. The VPN
> method would be doing the security enforcement rather than OAUTH,
> based on standard endpoint control.
>
> Lets call that what it is : a good ol bileral agreement for
> information sharing, enforced using endpoint visibility. But, the
> point is that the cert:key triples that then get published on the web
> (by the likes of linkeddata.uriburner.com) would only be made
> available (in their proxy URI named  form, and on linked data
> endpoints served by OpenLink cloud) tio those the original document
> declarse. I.e the linked data data MUST enforce that, for the triples
> whose subject is the proxy URI.
>
> Now do this, we start to have commercial security, that does not
> tamper with the semantic web concept, and still exploits its paradigm
> shift. we start to have the conditions necessary for decent uses of
> certs:keys, anbd have moved beyond a wikileaks fuck the world type
> attitude of cert:keys. While thats fine and useful as a boostrap, it
> has to move on and address more conservative business needs, to keep
> the ball rolling. Otherwise the giant boulder will come to a(nother)

Yes, you can look at this as Linked Data bringing the power of the
Semantic Web technology stack to policy based access for Extranets :-)

Some history, we've always used policy based data access (plumbing
exploitation pattern)  to differentiate our middleware products (from
ODBC, JDBC, OLE-DB, ADO.NET all the way to Linked Data) . This is how we
answer (till this very day) the question: why would someone pay for your
ODBC, JDBC etc.. drivers when they can get them for free from a DBMS
vendor?

The same questions will be asked of WebID. And it will boil down to "it
just works" vs $100K+ support and consulting gigs.

Founder&  CEO