Re: Reminder: Never send fragid with HTTP GET (Was: fixed https://foafssl.org/test/WebId_

Hi Henry,

Just to make it clear that I understand it the way you said: the distiller (which is a server-side process), should remove the fragment ID before attempting to retrieve the RDFa content using the URI it receives from the request form of pyRdfa/.

Which is correct. Although this may be a matter of dispute, but I would have expected that to happen in the standard Python library that handles URI and HTTP; but it seems it does not do it. Ie, this seems to be a Python core library bug... Anyway. It is indeed an easy fix in Python, so I did it. I tested it with the jsp pages you gave me (or the one Jürgen gave, but it is all the same in this respect) and it seems to be o.k. now.

I have uploaded the fix for the /pyRdfa/ service page. I still have to upload the changed distribution file, in case somebody installed the package himself/herself...

Thanks!

Cheers

Ivan

On Jan 6, 2012, at 14:49 , Henry Story wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
>
>   I think your RDFa Distiller and Parser sends fragment identifiers along if they are entered into the
> box in
>
> 	http://www.w3.org/2007/08/pyRdfa/
>
> This has caused some confusion to me and others on the WebID mailing list, because we often deal
> with URLs with hashes. So in this case I was trying to verify
>
> 	http://2sea.org/sea.jsp#i
>
> which led to an empty graph. It would be easy to fix that I think.
>
> 	Henry
>
> On 6 Jan 2012, at 14:31, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>

>> (On 2012-01 -05, at 19:04, Henry Story wrote:
>>
>>> 1. do a GET on the URL with #i
>>>
>>> --------------------------8<----------------------------8<----------------------------
>>> hjs@bblfish[0]$ telnet 2sea.org 80
>>> Trying 46.228.199.61...
>>> Connected to 2sea.org.
>>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>> GET http://2sea.org/sea.jsp#i HTTP/1.1
>>

>> That is a violation of the URI and HTTP specs.
>> Never send the hash over HTTP.
>> <foo#bar> means "Whatever is referred to a as <#bar> in <foo>".
>> You must strip off the # and everything after it to retrieve <foo>.
>> Just don't do it.
>>
>> Tim)

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/