Re: fixed https://foafssl.org/test/WebId

On 1/6/12 6:21 AM, Andreas Radinger wrote:
> On 1/6/12 1:53 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>> On 6 Jan 2012, at 01:46, Jürgen Jakobitsch wrote:
>>
>>> hi again,
>>>
>>> the file is simply ok and available.
>>>
>>> when using telnet you might want to stick to the examples from this page [1]
>>>
>>> i'm not a telnet pro, but i get at least my index page without hash, i'm pretty
>>> sure telnet is able to work with hash uris.
>> Telnet knows nothing of HTTP. It's just a simple tcp connection. You can use that if you want
>> to see exactly what is going on the wire.
>>
>> Anyway, I am told that sending a URI with a # is a mistake, and that servers are in their right
>> to send a 404. I suppose I was expecting the apache library to do the right thing by itself.
>>
> Hi Henry,
>
> you are right,
> the mistake is the client application which sends a URI with a hash
> fragment in the HTTP request to a server.
> =>  the file is ok
> =>  the tomcat server is ok to send a 404
> =>  telnet is a good example of a bad client application

But, the semantics of fragment identifier don't really mandate
comprehension on the part of user agents, solely. Thus, an HTTP server
can do what the user agent failed to handle by processing a request for
URL module fragment id. Now, to somewhat complicate matters, if the HTTP
server is a Linked Data [Resource] Server (i.e, not an Information
[Resource] Server) it can, by way of transparent content negotiation qos
algorithm infer the user agent seeks the description of a name subject
which it translates (via re-write rule) into:

1. sparql describe url
2. sparql construct url.

If it can't do the above, then, yes it can 404 or even 406.

Note: a Linked Data [Resource] Server is responsible for serving up
Object/Entity descriptor resources to user agents. In a sense, they act
on the missing DESCRIBE verb re. HTTP, which you get (deftly) via a
sparql describe URL.

Generally though, the best practice is for HTTP user agents to process
Fragment Identifier semantics locally.

> Best,
> Andreas

Founder&  CEO