Re: WebID equivalence

On 4 January 2012 17:46, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 1/4/12 10:58 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>
>> Linked Data is about using networks (graph structures and hypertext
>> structures, cleverly combined) to describe things. In some
>> circumstances, one or the other aspect takes primacy; and in some
>> circumstances, one or the other side can be a bit of a burden. That's
>> fine so long as we don't insist too heavily that all good data must
>> fit some rigid template of being hypertext-published interconnected
>> graphs.
>

> WebID is insisting heavily without accepting burden related realities for:
>
> 1. developers of WebID verifiers
> 2. publishers of identity oriented claims.
>
> This is what I fear will lead to bootstrap inertia, inevitably.
>
> The goal in its most basic form boils down to testing for "mirrored claims"
> about identity across an idp space (on a network) and a local key store.
> This goal is achievable without surfacing some of the more burdensome
> aspects of Linked Data. IMHO. graph portability is the most important factor
> of all. The claims graph should be loosely coupled to the network.

I'm a huge fan of loose coupling.

Right now we have 2 concepts : WebID and The WebID Protocol

WebID
=======

An IDENTIFIER Coupled to:
URIs -- Yes
HTTP -- encouraged

The WebID Protocol 1.0 (Draft)
===========================

An AUTHENTICATION method coupled to:
WebID -- Yes
X.509 -- Yes
HTTP -- Yes
TLS -- Yes
RDF -- Yes

So at this point, we have a general concept and a specific protocol.
Can sometimes be confusing, due to the naming, even for people in the
community!

There's generally a trade-off between tolerance, adoption and
implementation complexity.   I think Kinsley is saying there's a good
opportunity here, to finding a "sweet spot" without too much resorting
to trial and error.