Re: TLS 1.0 vulnerability found

On 21 Sep 2011, at 11:51, Henry Story wrote:

> On 21 Sep 2011, at 10:22, Nathan wrote:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/19/beast_exploits_paypal_ssl/
>
> It looks like the pressure is growing to get all browsers to support TLS 1.2. Clearly until they do switching is difficult for web sites.

A non Verified Account of a user called Ben Laurie, who has the same name as a person interested in security at Google said on g+ to support an argument that the above issue was a non-problem and that there are easier solutions than moving to TLS 1.2 [1]:

<quote>
• I am not at liberty to discuss details until Duong and Rizzo give their talk, but I have looked into this for OpenSSL. So, more soon! However, unless they have something they're not telling me, they don't have much.
• OpenSSL 1.0.1 supports TLS 1.1 and 1.2.
• It isn't clear that all the churn in 1.2 is actually desirable.
</quote>

So for what that is worth, a piece of a puzzle that might raise a few questions.

Henry

[1] https://plus.google.com/109693896432057207496/posts/D4JN2NmQzjj