Re: proposal: change public_exponent -> exponent

On 10/14/11 1:45 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 14 Oct 2011, at 19:36, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> On 10/14/11 11:22 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>> deprecate public_exponent
>>>
>>> how long should deprecated features last, six months perhaps?
>>>

>> See my last comment about leveraging OWL.
>>
>> You've correctly identified a problem rife with subjectivity :-)
> of course with full inferencing everywhere there is no problem. But then we reduce
> the number of people who can participate to start off with. And we risk having issues
> getting people to understand why things sometimes work and sometimes don't.

You seem to be forgetting that reasoning is optional. You can add
relations to an ontology that are actually used optionally. The goal is
to be as non-disruptive as possible.

OWL relations doesn't mandate that you must reason.

How many actual consumers of Linked Data e.g., from DBpedia actually put
reasoning to use? That doesn't mean that cross mapping DBpedia,
Schema.org, and Facebook Open Graph ontologies shouldn't happen since
the end product is a bunch of relations added to one or all of the
aforementioned ontologies.

Also remember, you only need one data space (with reasoning capability
that acts on OWL relations) on the InterWeb for the effects of to
propagate to user agents that know zilch about reasoning.

We have to veer away, from lowest common denominator thinking all the
time. Do we climb this mountain vertically or horizontally, in unison?
> Still we can perhaps leave those relations in the machine readable ontologies - marked as deprecated -
> for a lot longer, so that robots with inferencing can know how to adapt from one to the other.

Exactly my point.

>   It is just that
> anyone who is writing software will prefer the cert:key relation.

Subjective. I am sure you know neither one of us can accurately speak
for everyone :-)

Kingsley
> How is that?
>
> Henry