Re: design issue when dereferencing a foaf-profile with public key

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 13:39:43 +0200
To: Jürgen Jakobitsch <j.jakobitsch@semantic-web.at>
Cc: WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
On 29 September 2011 20:06, Jürgen Jakobitsch
<j.jakobitsch@semantic-web.at> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have a question concerning linked data principles and a dereferencing a foaf-profile
> with a public key.
>
> currently it is apparently necessary that two (=2) resources are dereferenceable under one (=1) (the foaf:Persons's) uri.
> that is because there's no predicate linking from a foaf:Person to a RSAPublicKey. I could have a RSAPublicKey
> available at some-uri stating that it's cert#identity is some remote resource, which would be totally legal
> linked data, but when using the foaf uri from a certificate there's no chance i find the coresponding RSAPublicKey.
>
> 1. has this issue already been discussed?

Yes, was generally considered a good idea to have the 'forward'
relation, however there was some caution about deprecating the old
predicate (cert:identity) so as not to break existing implementations.

> 2. is it not considered an issue but simply the way it is?
> 3. would a predicate like "hasPublicKey" improve things?

That seems reasonable.

There's also the new sec ontology for payswarm:

2. Classes

   2.1 EncryptedMessage
   2.2 Key
   2.3 Signature