Re: WebID XG - semantic group profile.

On 5/20/11 4:35 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
> I didnt understand any of this thread.
>
> I thought the whole point was that anyone could make a foaf group,
> reference n URIs==webids, and thats it.

Yep! And that's actually it. Hence my: Linked Data comment :-)

> I thougt a fancier point was that the group elements might be a URI,
> that either is or is the sameAs as a[distinct] webid. Thus, one can
> ask for the members of a foaf group X who have webids, discarding the
> rest.
>
> how, or why, or what the foaf group bind to, in acl terms, is a
> different issue.

Correct.

I have old WebID based ACLs demos [1] where a number of WebIDs are
associated with a foaf:Group to which ACLs apply.

Simple example:

1. I make a Calendar Data Space
2. I set ACLs scoped to the entire Calendar Data Space or a specific item
3. ACLs can be scoped to Group WebIDs or Individual WebIDs.

> Alll the thread poster was trying to do was specify a group. The
> poster was not attempting to bind the group id to a set of acl entries.

Yes.

> one can then apply authentication policy, at the website guard. User
> does SSL client authn, and guard requires webid to be on list (above),
> before authz is even attempted. THis is the same as the directory
> world then, in which one MUST prove one has done strong authentication
> AND some issuer vouches for the keys' authenticity (in the underlying
> foaf cards). The maintainer of that group is that very issuer.
>
> We have to disinguish between the authn guard (enforcing strong authn
> policy), and the authz decision/enforcement points (based on some
> authz logic, of which there are hundreds...)

Links:

1.
http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2010-September/003706.html
-- thread about the ACL demo which showcases WebID grouping via foaf:Group

Kingsley

> > Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 11:08:52 -0400
> > From: kidehen@openlinksw.com
> > To: public-xg-webid@w3.org
> > Subject: Re: WebID XG - semantic group profile.

> e-mail could also login with their webid to prove the equivalence.

> rules. So I am CC Coralie here.
> share with the public. Use "<" and">" to handle reference values.
> That's it.
> > > Well I am not sure I can publish the e-mails or sha1 sum of
> members of this group anywhere let alone google. So the issue is to
> deal with that first.
> >
> > I meant:
> >
> > Name and WebID.
> >
> > Also remember, mailto: URIs shouldn't be secrets in an S/MIME + WebID
> > world. You can actually verify signed emails using the aforementioned
> > hybrid protocol.
> >
> > > Also mailing list membership changes, so it would be good to have
> the :webIDXG group be representative of people who are subscribed here
> at a time. To do this it seems to me a perl cgi that transforms the
> information from the list members can be quickly put together. The W3C
> has web servers, so there is no need to ask Google to host this I
> think. (Anyway I think Andrei Sambra was happy to host it).
> >
> > I just mean use a Google Spreadsheet as a Triple editor since you can
> > "Save As" to a location e.g. one that's mounted by WebDAV with
> > redirection into a Data Space (like a DBMS).
> >
> > > Having it machine readable in an RDF format is something that
> would help us make some nice link to the linked data community and
> test out some services.
> >
> > Well, as I've indicated a long time ago, using ACL protected data
> spaces
> > is what we should be doing e.g. an ACL protected AddressBook that WebID
> > compliant.
> >
> > > And publishing proven WebIds would also be a good way of showing
> how one can do distributed
> > > assurance. The file would make the assurance that the members are
> part of this group.
> > >
> > > Finally the file is minimal. It is up to remote WebID users to
> decide how much different services can learn about them.
> >
> > See comments above.
> >
> > It's not about files its about Linked Data :-)
> >
> > Kingsley
> > > Henry
> > >

> > > Social Web Architect
> > > http://bblfish.net/