Re: HTML5 Fat-client Issues and WebID

On 8 Mar 2011, at  3:22, Henry Story wrote:

> I am also initially skeptical with any security system not done at the
> browser level, because
> there is too much room for spoofing attacks. Only the browser can
> implement non spoofable
> security information.
>
> And as you point out correctly, storing information on the client is
> itself
> a big security problem that has not yet been addressed. Especially for the
> case people use so often as an example of an issue with WebID: the public
> terminal case.
>
> If the browser is in charge of the  user's identity it could partition the
> databases of information per user identity. A good browser would allow
> this information to be merged on user request.
>
> So this is another case in favour of the browser being in charge of user
> identity.

Agreed. The issue of identity control and assurance really comes down to
the level of the user, as it should. The software layer that most closely
matches the level of a single user is the browser layer. Therefore, the
browser level is a key player in implementing a user-centric, distributed
identity mechanism.

My main line of questioning with this thread is to make sure that we
carefully consider the concerns of the enterprise owner as it pertains to
letting users store and process data at the browser level. That was what I
was trying to communicate when I asked:

>> Can a WebID help sufficiently in alleviating those concerns so
>> that enterprise apps even consider leveraging HTML5's
>> client-side processing and storage features?

I do understand the benefits a WebID offers but we need to make sure that
we consider as many reasonable security concerns that an enterprise owner
may have with client-side storage and processing and clearly demonstrate
how a WebID can alleviate those concerns.

Perhaps this is a moot point. But as I'm working on use cases, I need to
make sure that I am looking at the picture from both sides--from that of
the user and from that of the enterprise (website) owner. To succeed in
our efforts, we need the enterprise owners to adopt the WebID.

Jeff