RE: report on EV and SSL MITM proxying

Perhaps I should be less opaque, since I don't like standard cultures that
hide and keep confidences amongst only some of the participants. I should
not break my own rule!

One solution is to do client authn over SSL handshake with a null bulk
cipher in the ciphersuite. Should this be detected, there is little  reason
for an outgoing firewall to MITM.

Now, there is an offer, inviting an offer back. The firewall give up total
interception, and the SSL end-end client authn gives up confidentiality of
(end-end) identity assertions.

This limits the applicability of webid (obviously, it's now no good for
voting.. or supporting the various nym style regimes); but then, its only
supposed to be "better" than "'basic auth' over https" (while also promoting
RDF and the FOAF project). It's a deal I could live with (not that I have
the slightest influence). Using CBTs (channel binding tokens) in the webauth
(e.g. Windows-based Digest) allows the peers at least to detect when the
channel to an https/webid-accepting IDP has been tampered with.