RE: [foaf-protocols] WebID test suite

I'm in agreement the spec says neither of the propositions. But, then, the spec says nothing on the topic of much value. it just state how to validate a cert, using a profile doc from the web. Its spec concepttually little or no different to using a directory object from ldap, looking for existance of a cert value in the directory attribute. If one prsented 3 user certs in the SSL message, and asked someone to test if any 1 of the n exist in one of 3 directory object, one has the same circumstance as webid, where 1 certs presents 3 SAN URIs. All we have done is change some bit formats around. Lets say now we are a web garden, where n https listeners are willing to project a common resource. In any given flow of multiple HTTP conversations, the browser may talk to any one of the n listeners, which has no knowledge of the decisions taken by the others (10 ms ago). Since we are in a RESTful world, lets assume there is no cookie, and no notion of sticky sessions acrosss nodes in a webgarden. Lets say that the node in a web garden, given the spec, pick a SAN URI of m presented, almost at random. And, lets guess that one of URI has a domain name that is blocked. Are we saying that on 1/3 runs, the browser will get an access denied, where on 2/3 runs it MAY get access. Are we saying that for the 2/3 runs, that is the cache for the 1/3 of the runs happens to be unexpired (but the real resource no longer exists, and its domain name is no longer published), that the access should be granted? If you read RFC1422, there is a very specific caching model for inbound certs. Having been validated at time x, LOCAL expiry applies to the copy in the cache. Local rules may decide that the local cache expires AFTER the cert itself expires, an the cert can CONTINUED to be consider (locally) valid, even if presented after the cert has expired.             Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:00:36 +0100
From: kidehen@openlinksw.com
To: public-xg-webid@w3.org
Subject: Re: [foaf-protocols] WebID test suite

    On 6/24/11 7:08 PM, Peter Williams wrote:

        The defacto owl sameAs part is really interesting (and its the
        semweb part of webid that most interests me, since its about the
        potential logic of enforcement....)

        are we saying that should n URIs be present in a cert and one of
        them validates to the satisfaction of the verifying party, then
        this combination of events is the statement: verifer says
        owl:sameAs x, where x is each member of the set of SAN URIs in
        the cert, whether or not all x were verified .

    No.

    When an IdP is presented with a Cert, it is going to have its own
    heuristic for picking one WebID. Now, when there are several to
    choose from I would expect that any choice results in a path to a
    Public Key -> WebID match. Basically, inference such as
    owl:sameAs would occur within the realm of the IdP that verifiers a
    WebID. Such inference cannot be based on the existence of multiple
    URIs serving as WebIDs in SAN (or anywhere else).

          Thats quite a claim to make. An more restrcitied claim
            could be that

    Yes, but I don't believe the spec infers that.

          verifier says webid says owl:sameAs x, where x is each
            member of the set of SAN URIs in the cert, whether or not
            all x were verified .

    No, don't think that's the implication from spec or what one would
    expect to happen.

    Kingsley