RE: WebID in Browsers conf feedback

 david chadwicks repeat of comments from unknown parties is of the same essence as the Paypal comment. They are both stuck in the https conception of a decade ago, not seeing how https/ssl can evolve to do what is *already* being done with IPsec and client certs.

Both criticisms have the same structure: that server farms based on load-balancing, failover, HA, .... architectures CANNOT adopt webid - BECUASE of the need to follow a reference. Any reference.

In a UCI world (where anyone can make up any crap), obviously who in a Paypal-grade of corporate entity wants to be seen publicly to be following a ref to irc://childporn.com, just because its presented in a cert ref from an nonymous party seeking to identity (and disrupt)? David's comment about someone's argument was that by IMPOSING trusted intermediaries (known as CAs), paypal's of the world are protected - as the CA has vetted the refs, up front.

Of course, this is the anti-thesis of the webid movement. The whole claim basis of webid as an argument is that the sematic web has a "reputation" trust model built in. And, one uses that, rather than imposing CAs as qualifying-introducers.

SO, the defense has to address the objection, expressed in its own terms. And that real objection is (ignoring the suggestion to go back to CAs) that webid needs to be able to qualify WHICH refs a consumer follows, before it follows them.

Its like saying: given a webid claim from a client cert newly presented, one needs to consult the semantic web as a trust model to find out whether or not the reference itself is something one wants to follow, before following it and evaluating the *content* of the triple store similarly against the semantic web and its trust model (now applied to triples, vs mere refs). One has to consider the provenance (hint) of the ref that is.

Now, knowing Henry argument style, he would probably say: this is architecturally already dealt with, because we are are assuming that those URI refs have domain-names, registered in DNS (as managed by or rooted by US firms, in whom we globally trust). Thus the DNS is the Reputation-source about the refs, since its the reputation source about their domain-names - and the notion of "authority" built into the URI concept. Webid is thus formalizing that the DNS (signed zone) is the authority of that namespace of URIs. DNS decides it the authority component of the webid resolves, or NOT. Its a security authority for refs, that is.

Now, we have got rid of CAs (and replaced them with more scalable signed DN zones!).

Little or none of this is talked about in the spec. Similarly, the control model of centralized/de-centralized implications of DNS and signed azones is not explored. It doesnt say how de-centralized zone signing is to be achieved (allowing for walled-garded DNS servers, with their own signed zone key management, ....)