Fwd: [projectvrm] Commerce Dept backing new ID system???

I came across this message on the ProjectVRM mailing list, and thought
it might be of interest for the group:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adam Carson <adamkcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 14:08
Subject: [projectvrm] Commerce Dept backing new ID system???
To: ProjectVRM list <projectvrm@eon.law.harvard.edu>

This is the first I am seeing about this...
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_06/b4214036537462.htm
The U.S. Commerce Dept. is spearheading a new online security system
that experts say will eliminate the password maze and perhaps boost
e-commerce. The plan calls for a single sign-in each time a computer
or phone is turned on, using a device such as a digital token, a
smartcard, or a fingerprint reader. Once logged in, users would have
access to any website that has signed up for the program. "You are
your password in this system," says John Clippinger, co-director of
the Law Lab at Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet & Society and an
advocate of the plan. "It will be far more efficient and you'll
control it much more." Activities now done offline because of security
or privacy concerns—evaluating medical records or refinancing a
mortgage—might migrate to the Web following adoption of the new rules,
called the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace, or
NSTIC.

Adam Carson
Cell: (415) 343-5811
adamkcarson@gmail.com
http://about.me/adamkcarson

--
远洋 / Daniël Bos

email  : corani@gmail.com
phone  : +31-318-711063 (Dutch) / +86-18-701330735 (Chinese)
weblog : http://blog.loadingdata.nl/
ostatus: corani@status.loadingdata.nl