RE: [foaf-protocols] The other side of WebID / four party auth

I'd counsel using a different model for comprehending that sequence.

Its final state is what is known as peer trust, having bilaterally exchanged keys and names. You can think of it as each peer is cross-certifying the other's key/name binding. Nathan happens to use the model of webid names, foaf cards for storing keys, web servers limiting write access to foaf card graphs, and complete ssl handshakes for signing. Others have used DNs, directory entries, ACLs on write privileges in directory entries, and signed (cross-)certificate minting.

In "peer trust", every entity is a CA, and any one entity can re-sign credentials already issued (and probably once signed) by third party CAs.

The scheme really only works when "peering", as it requires a reciprocal process - in which I follow you, you follow me.

The larger commercial CAs have long recognized peer trust scheme as a business threat, and generally have terms and conditions that prohibit their subscriber with "issued certs/keys" from repurposing those public keys in this manner.

In 1994 when 1 million client certs were issued as an experiment to navigator 3 and IE3 users, the logic was: I do all the work to introduce you to each other, and you then dump me and just trust each other thereafter? There was no web-centric business model to recover the initial costs and define a continuing value. Thus the practice was prohibited when using public keys already under management.

Now, what I succesfully argued, to promote certs in the web generally, was that the world of self-signed certs should be countenanced. And, duely, peering protocols could come into their own. Thus, the whoel web infrastructure supprots self-signed certs just as well as it does issued certs.

Should one fashion self-signed certs using keys NOT managed by a third and now peer (as above), the CA business plans had no problem with this, viewing it as a marketing tool to teach the world about the management value theybrought, as peering relation get harder to managed as they scale (viz PGP).

This is where we now back to, 16 years later, with the webid protocol work : peer trust.

Once there is peer trust, then one worrired about rights to print documents, where rights are bound to entities or channels speaking-for the entity under classical Lampson reasoning about authentication.