      From: Liddy Nevile [mailto:liddy@sunriseresearch.org]
      Sent: 10 February 2006 23:36
      To: Paul Walsh, Segala
      Cc: public-xg-wcl@w3.org
      Subject: Re: Hello!

      Paul
      as a metadata fan, I do think that good labeling is part
      of making 'good' content, whatever its audience, so yes,
      I sort of agree with you. The only hesitation I have is
      that we are not actually proposing WCAG labeling. In our
      case, we are keen to see content labeled to show the
      accessibility characteristics of significance to the
      individual user. What is the difference? I personally
      might think it is very nice if all content is WCAG
      compliant, as I do, but when I as a user seek something,
      the only labels of interest to me are those with details
      about things that I may want to change or use. Our
      labeling is not aimed at compliance, because we
      anticipate distributed, cumulative solutions to
      accessibility and 'compliance'
      labeling of resources does not really help with this.
      Compliance labeling shows how closely the resource
      complies with the WCAG (something someone might want to
      know, especially system administrators and external
      bodies of various kinds) but our labeling is more about
      using criteria, and tests, perhaps from WCAG and maybe
      sometimes from other places, that provide the info an
      individual user needs.

      So a long answer - but I did want to make clear the
      difference between 'compliance' labeling and what we
      might think of as informative labeling.

      So, glad to be involved and keen to see progress!

      Liddy

      On 10/02/2006, at 6:44 PM, Paul Walsh, Segala wrote:

      > Hi Liddy,
      >
      > You are absolutely right. We saw Web accessibility as a
      primary use
      > case, it's actually documented in the Charter [1]. It
      would be great
      > to get your feedback, I'd particularly like to hear
      from you when you
      > apply content labelling to your own accessible websites.
      >
      > To further your thought process, don't you think
      content labelling
      > makes accessibility more appealing by using the benefit
      of search
      > indexing? Search engines and browsers in the near future could
      > highlight websites deemed to be 'trustworthy' using a
      Content Label.
      > By labelling content you increase your chances of your
      site being
      > highlighted in new versions of search engines and
      browsers that look
      > for such labels.
      >
      > Using accessibility as an example, if a user can view
      only sites which
      > allow text to be resized to the 'largest' browser
      setting, a Content
      > Label will distinguish sites with this ability. Users
      may even filter
      > out websites that are not labelled for this
      functionality in the
      > future.
      >
      > This would permit companies to make declarations about
      conformance to
      > individual WAI accessibility guidelines without the restrictive
      > requirement to meet the complete list of claims
      required for WAI
      > Single-A, Double-A or Treble-A conformance. Equally you
      could state
      > conformance to those sets if you choose.
      >
      > This would make content labelling suitable for sites in
      a gradual
      > process of converting to accessibility, as well as very
      large sites in
      > which it would be impossible or wasteful to try to make
      every page
      > accessible in one go.
      >
      > [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/wcl/wcl-charter-20060208
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Paul
      >
      > -----
      > www.segala.com

      Of Liddy Nevile
      >       Sent: 10 February 2006 05:30
      >       To: public-xg-wcl@w3.org
      >       Subject: Hello!
      >

      >       I am interested in this activity because I think it has
      >       another use case, as I think I suggested to Phil
      some time ago?

      >       I think that the person with accessibility needs and
      >       preferences, for whatever reason, might also fit into
      >       this work? I am co-author of the proposed ISO standard
      >       that relates to the use of a profile of personal needs
      >       and preferences (functional requirements) and the
      >       resource description that is needed for a resource to be
      >       matched to a user's profile. This is not just about the
      >       group of people with disabilities who are, of course, in
      >       need of accessibility, but anyone with a need at the
      >       time, for whatever reason. Primarily, I have seen our
      >       work as the metadata extension of PICS in the same way
      >       that I think you are seeing it, but in a
      different context.