Re: FYI: Representation of Uncertainty and Confidence in PIDF-LO

This is interesting, especially as an IETF draft.  Has anyone worked
with these people or know of their work?

A little searching also turned up http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1355187
.

Ken

On Dec 9, 2008, at 4:26 AM, Pavel Smrz wrote:

> Representation of Uncertainty and Confidence in PIDF-LO
> Martin Thomson and James Winterbottom (eds), IETF Internet Draft
>
> Members of the IETF Geographic Location/Privacy (GEOPRIV) Working
> Group have published a Internet Draft for "Representation of
> Uncertainty
> and Confidence in PIDF-LO." RFC 4119 defines "A Presence-based GEOPRIV
> Location Object Format" (PIDF-LO), where the Presence Information Data
> Format (PIDF) is an XML-based format designed for communicating
> privacy-sensitive presence information and which has similar
> properties.
> This "Representation of Uncertainty" I-D defines key concepts of
> uncertainty and confidence as they pertain to location information are
> defined. The draft also outlines methods for the manipulation of
> location
> estimates that include uncertainty information. It provides guidance
> on
> how to manage location information that includes uncertainty. Methods
> for expanding or reducing uncertainty to obtain a required level of
> confidence are described. Methods for determining the probability that
> a Target is within a specified region based on their location estimate
> are described. These methods are simplified by making certain
> assumptions
> about the location estimate and are designed to be applicable to
> location estimates in a relatively small area. Background: "Location
> information represents an estimation of the position of a Target.
> Under
> ideal circumstances, a location estimate precisely reflects the actual
> location of the Target. In reality, there are many factors that
> introduce errors into the measurements that are used to determine
> location estimates. The process by which measurements are combined to
> generate a location estimate is outside of the scope of work within
> the IETF. However, the results of such a process are carried in IETF
> data formats and protocols. This document outlines how uncertainty,
> and its associated datum, confidence, are expressed and
> interpreted..."
>
> http://xml.coverpages.org/draft-thomson-geopriv-uncertainty-02.txt
> See also Geolocation Policy:
> http://xml.coverpages.org/draft-ietf-geopriv-policy-17.txt
>
> --
> Pavel Smrz
> Associate professor
> Faculty of Information Technology
> Brno University of Technology
> Bozetechova 2, 61266 Brno
> Czech Republic
> Phone: +420 541 141 282
> Fax: +420 541 141 290
> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~smrz

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508