Re: [URW3 public] Re: [URW3] ... three questions based on the last telecon

On Jul 16, 2007, at 7:33 AM, Giorgos Stoilos wrote:

> Guys, I don't think that using RDF triples to represent not only
> uncertainty
> but even knowledge on the web has anything to do with reason :); even
> worse
> using reification.
>
> As I said in my previous mail, I don't see how language extensions (or
> ways
> to represent uncertainty using W3C standards) have anything to do with
> an
> uncertainty ontology?
>
> Moreover, is it in this group's goal to propose such extensions or to
> identify them?

It is the goal of this group (per  the charter) to look at what
uncertainty information needs to be captured, e.g. is a numerical value
attached to a sentence/proposition/... sufficient?  Under what
circumstances is a numerical value sufficient?  When it is not
sufficient, what else is needed?

While we can make "obvious" suggestions (should such suggestions become
obvious), it is not within our charter to specify syntax.

Ken

P.S. If terminology used in other standards (W3C or otherwise) are
useful in expressing our concepts, we should not invent new terms where
none are needed.  On the other hand, we should not feel compelled to
use terms we feel are inadequate for our needs.

> Finally, if we want to look into such extensions I am in favour of OWL
> and
> not RDF.
>
> -gstoil

-----
Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7151 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508