[URW3] Fwd: migrating our wiki platform to mediawiki

W3C systems folks are considering migrating to a different wiki.  I
do not have experience with mediawiki and while I really do not look
forward to getting used to a new tool, it might be nice to have more
editing capability.

Does anyone have an opinion on staying with moinmoin or migrating to
mediawiki?

Ken

Begin forwarded message:

> From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
> Date: July 9, 2007 9:26:27 PM EDT
> To: chairs@w3.org
> Subject: migrating our wiki platform to mediawiki
>

> Dear W3C chairs,
>
> Through your staff contacts, and from some of you directly, the W3C
> systems team received a steady flow of requests to consider
> switching the engine running w3c wikis from moinmoin to the
> mediawiki engine, notably for its section editing capability, and
> for its semantic annotation plugin (semantic mediawiki).
>
> Mediawiki is the engine used to run the wikipedia site, and may be
> already familiar to many of you.
>

> After careful evaluation, we concluded that the migration would be
> possible but tricky. In particular:
> * we should be able to keep the same URI space
> * existing content in our wiki will be copied to the new engine
> * it may not be possible to migrate revision history for all the
> documents.
> We would look into saving the revision history somewhere in web
> space, for the record.
> * user accounts look difficult to migrate. In the worst case, all
> users would have to re-create accounts. In the "best" case all
> users may have to reinitialize their password
> * plug-ins may be migrated, if possible, on a case-by-case basis.
> "Themes" are unlikely to be migrated.
>

> Consequently, we would like to hear from you, if you are chairing a
> group currently using a wiki on the moinmoin platform, whether you
> would object to the migration to the mediawiki engine, given the
> potential issues listed above.
>
> If possible, please answer within the next week if you have any
> strong objection.
>
> We can not, yet, give any timeline for the migration, but will have
> a better idea of a time scale after receiving your answers.
>
> Thank you.
> For the W3C Systems Team,
> --
> olivier

Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508