From: Maxim Kolchin [mailto:kolchinmax@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 8 October 2015 5:47 PM
To: Sheth, Amit <amit.sheth@wright.edu>
Cc: public-xg-ssn@w3.org; Riccardo Tommasini <riccardo@knoesis.org>; semiot-project@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: A unit of measurement as a measuring property

Hi Amit and Riccardo!

>There are the options:
>1) Attach the unit of measurements to the ssn:ObservationValue class,
>the information will be replicated for any instance of the value. e.g
>[1]

Yes, it's definitely an option, but I want to say which unit of measurement the sensor is used, before even I've receive an observation.

> 2) Attach the unit of measurements to the sensor by exploiting the Measurement Capabilities class:  the information will be available for each > sensor instance. Look at [2].

Yes, it seems quite logical, therefore I wanted to ask, whether it fits the design of the ontology to make sure that I'm right. I think I'll create an instance of ssn:MeasuringProperty, so it could look like this:

example:sensor-0 a ssn:SensingDevice ;
   ssn:observes example:AirTemperature ;
   ssn:hasMeasurementCapability [
      a ssn:MeasurementCapability ;
         ssn:forProperty example:AirTemperature ;
         ssn:hasMeasurementProperty [
            a example:UnitOfMeasurement ;
                    ssn:hasValue unit:DegreeCelsius
         ] .
   ] .

> 3) Attaching it to the sun:Property class, by defining an object property. I don’t recommend this option since it is not flexible and the ontology > will be hard to be extended.

Exactly, I want to avoid any non-extensible or illogical options :)

But then, it'd interesting, why the group didn't add such measuring property the ontology, because it's quite obvious (at least for me) that it's useful.

Thanks!
Maxim