Re: [ExternalEmail] ISSUE-4 Fwd: SSN-XG Meeting Minutes 13 March 2010

Thanks Luis and Carlos.  I've also sent out my example.

This is also a response to http://marinemetadata.org/community/teams/ontdevices/devontacc

I made my example use the same sort of structure for ranges as this so
that the only real difference was in the modelling of accuracy etc.
Though there is another difference because I used Condition to model
the constraint on accuracy rather than a measurement range.  It's not
really important for this example but if the constraint was something
other than the quality being measured something like this is
required.  I'd intended in my model that all the named things be
properties of the sensor itself and condition to be 'prevailing
conditions' or the qualities that affect this measurement: i.e.
external physical conditions.

For this example I think Luis's model looks fair enough.  Though I'm
not sure how to interpret the indirection: i.e. could I write it any
way around with the range having condition accuracy.  In general,
thought, it seems a bit strange to refer to one capability as a
condition for another.

My main objection is that as specifications get more complicated this
approach seems to get more convoluted.  For example, it's not always
the case that capabilities are  affected by external factors,
sometimes you can get different precision say based on latency (e.g. http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS1722.pdf
  see page 6).  So let's assume a device like the DS1722 where
different latencies give different precisions and that each of those
precisions has a different accuracy associated with it and that each
has a different possible measurement range (i.e. as we wait longer we
get more bits in the result, the result gets more accurate and the
range of measurement is extended).

How are we to model such a device?  There would be loads of orderings
and combinations of the hasConditions and that would seem to make for
awkward queries and modelling.  It also seems that these factors are a
tuple - i.e. the latency is as much a condition of the accuracy as the
accuracy is a condition on the latency - so the hasConditions
relations here don't seem to represent the natural way to think about
the relationship of these capabilities to each other.

So while I think that Luis's proposal will work and can be extended to
cover these sorts of ideas, I still think representing these things in
a tuple is a more concise and faithful way to model sensors'
capabilities.

Thanks,
Michael