RE: Ontology Core Concepts

Michael, others:

Thanks for the summary page.

A couple of comments -
1. bundling the 'where it is and what it is' together is consistent with the
idea that sensors make observations concerning 'features' from a (usually)
domain-specific 'application schema'. Features have various properties,
where properties may be grouped with a 'feature type'. This is as described
in ISO 19109.
2. I suspect that 'sampling' (in the general sense, not just physical
samples!) will need to be considered. Sampling intermediates between
obsevations and real-world-features. In O&M Part 2 we found a
sampling-features model very effective in solving many of the issues
associated with platforms, deployments, transects, etc.

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre,
Institute for Environment and Sustainability,
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
mailto:simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu
http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox