De : public-xg-ssn-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-ssn-request@w3.org] De la part de Michael Compton
Envoyé : mercredi 23 décembre 2009 04:28
À : Compton, Michael (ICT Centre, Acton)
Cc : Semantic Sensor Network Incubator Group WG
Objet : Re: [ExternalEmail] Re: ISSUE-2 (All processes are systems): All processes are systems [sensor ontology - http://mmisw.org/orr/#http://www.w3.org/2009/SSN-XG/Ontologies/SensorBasis.owl - 09.12.15 ]

This email is an attempt to collate all the things that I think we agree on (which I believe to largely be the concepts and their
relationships) and to try and put sensible things in for the bits we don't agree on (which I think is mostly the names) - some of this borrowed from emails from Manfred, Luis and others.

I've tried to set out some statements that I think were largely agreed and also some OWL that I think matches up to those statements - the names of concepts may be incorrect or worth more debate/thought.

(1) A system is a unit of abstraction for pieces of infrastructure (and we largely care that they are) for sensing.  A system has components, which are other systems.

(2) A device is a physical piece of technology - a system in a box.
Devices may of course be built of smaller devices and software components (i.e. systems have components)

(3) A process has an output and possibly inputs and, for a composite process, describes the temporal and dataflow dependencies and relationships amongst its parts.

(4) Sensing is a process that results in the estimation, or calculation, of the value of a phenomenon.

(5) An observation is the record of some sensing and contains time stamps, a result, a reference to the sensing process ... i.e. all the bits in O&M

(6) There are some things that can do sensing and thus make observations.

(7) Some devices can do sensing.

Now in something approximating (manchester?) OWL (again using <= for subclass and == for equivalence)

System == hasComponent  some System
#statement (1)

Device <= System
#statement (2)

#statement (3) omitted - given other definitions I would expect the definitions of a process and its inputs and outputs and structure to be largely uncontroversial (see SensorML or the CSIRO ontology originally posted for ideas of how to go about this)

Sensing <= Proccess
#statement (4)

#statement (5) omitted - if we accept what was agreed at f2f then we can take observations as O&M with their 'procedure' relation linking to sensing.

Sensor == implements some Sensing
# statement (6)

SensingDevice <= Sensor
SensingDevice <= Device
#statement (7)

Now we all seem to agree that there are other things that can do sensing - regional observing systems, me calculating values, etc - but I haven't named them here.  If we agree this far we can come up with names for the other sensing things.

(8) For the moment we will state nothing about any is-a relationship between processes and systems

I still think that: " systems ... component relation describes structural make up, and processes ... component relation describes temporal ordering and data flow." is an important distinction between processes and systems.  As Manfred made clear the process describes
essentially the algorithm which may be implemented by some system.
But I don't think that we are forced at this point to make any final statement about (8) in the ontology.

Michael