Re: SSN-XG Meeting Minutes 2-December-2009

Holger, all,

First of all, my complements to whoever took the minutes.  They were
wonderful, I had a great sense of your discussion.

And, my apologies for not being there, in my new job it seems I am not
so much in control of my schedule as I would like. It is my intent to
reconnect, at least in reviewing and adding value from an offline
position.

I would like to introduce a topic to discuss at the next appropriate
meeting (you may have discussed it a bit today).  The MMI device
ontology has a fair amount of material that is complementary, and
maybe some material that is contradictory, with the W3C device
ontology.  I think there is a lot to be said for pushing hard to align
the two as fully as possible.

There are multiple approaches to alignment (one ontology, one master
ontology with two extensions, two overlapping and non-conflicting
ontologies, two entirely separate ontologies), and while I have a bias
about which is most desirable, I don't have a firm opinion.  I do see
a lot of advantages to a clear alignment, which I can list at the
meeting, or in the email thread.

If you haven't already covered this topic, can it be added?  While
neither of the next two weeks works great for me, I will make time to
attend as soon as it is on the agenda. And of course am happy to
provide more information via the list.

Thanks,

John

On Dec 2, 2009, at 14:20, <Holger.Neuhaus@csiro.au> <Holger.Neuhaus@csiro.au