RE: Discussion about Observation/Phenomenon structure in the SSN Ontology

Luis

Right - (i) you reach out into the other standards better to show more of
the total graph, and (ii) you suppress some of the distracting detail.

Of course this could all be done using the UML tool, providing the SensorML
and SWE Common models are complete (yes for the latter, no for the former,
but that could be fixed non-normatively quite easily.

I strongly suggest it is best to stick with one of the the two formal
notations that we are already using - i.e. either UML class diagram (just
requires some attention to making the diagram pretty) or OWL/RDF (with some
automatic visualization) - rather than invent a new notation, the meaning of
which is either unclear or has to be laboriously explained. With UML I could
probably do what is necessary in a few minutes, starting with the original
model. The advantage of going to OWL/RDF is (a) it is likely to be more
acceptable to the target audience, (b) it would help with the important
meta-project, to produce a lossless ISO-UML-->OWL rule.

Simon

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre,
Institute for Environment and Sustainability,
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
 <mailto:simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu> mailto:simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu
 <http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox>