Re: Survey paper

Cory,

I think the end goal is to take SOS responses and transform those to RDF.
Meaning, we need to create a graph with triples  composed of Resource/
Property values. And, as we know Resources and Properties need be
represented via URIs. Values can take a URI or a literal value. So, we  need
to identify in SensorML and O&M  place holders for URIs. And we should use
those as starting point when building our graph. For example, UML
properties, xpath pointing to xlink attibutes, xpaths pointing to XML
elements ( like the one I described in a previous email),  or in the future
GML identifiers.

So... xlink is just one avenue..

-luis

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Simon Cox <simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu>wrote:

>  (1) If the point is to illustrate use of xlink for annotations, then you
> need to make sure that the example really does use xlink for this purpose.
> I'm not convinced that authorized GML xlink:**href** usage does this.
>
> xlink:role and xlink:arcrole might be OK, but there are very few examples
> in real-life (see
> https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/AppSchemas/ObservationsAndSampling#Unknown_features for
> a pattern that has been used in the geoscience community).
>
> (2) As mentioned in my PS below, XLink has barely been implemented.
> So XLink semantics are essentially bound to to the small number of contexts
> where it has actually been used.
> RDDL and GML could be the most significant users (and yes, folks, GML is
> now seeing significant deployment, particularly under the auspices of
> GeoSciML/oneGeology and INSPIRE) so my story could be as good as it gets ...
>

> Simon
>

> Simon Cox
>
> European Commission, Joint Research Centre,
> Institute for Environment and Sustainability,
> Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
> Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
> Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
> Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
> mailto:simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu <simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu>
> http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox
>
> SDI Unit: http://sdi.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
> IES Institute: http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
> JRC: http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

Luis Bermudez Ph.D.
Coastal Research Technical Manager
Southeastern Universities Research Association (SURA)
bermudez@sura.org - Office: (202) 408-8211
1201 New York Ave. NW Suite 430, Washington DC 20005