Re: Social Web XG Meeting Sept 22nd: Final Report and Paul Trevithick on infocards and Higgins Project

On 22 Sep 2010, at 09:42, Harry Halpin wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Alexandre Passant
> <alexandre.passant@deri.org> wrote:
>> Regrets, I'm traveling today.
>> I may have some comments on the report but I'll send to the list after the meeting / reading minutes.
>
> Yes, the two big decisions were in the interest of fairness to all the
> approaches, to make each standard approach take only 2 paragraphs.
> Some were a few sentences (or none) and others were 5 paragraphs. It
> was difficult shortening some and lengthening others, but I tried to
> preserve the essential content.

Fair enough, I've just read through the whole report, and have only a few comments below (besides one or two, they are mostly editorial).
I've also included a paragraph on SIOC.

** Overall

web => Web

** Abstract

"Socil Web" => "Social Web"

"We conclude ... We conclude" => Better to avoid repetition, e.g. "We also suggest a strategy for the role of the W3C in the Social Web"

** Intro

"The Social Web Incubator Group (SWXG) was founded to uncover and document existing technologies, ". Probably worth mentioning the workshop that lead to the XG.
=>
"The Social Web Incubator Group (SWXG) was founded as an outcome of the W3C Workshop on the Future of the Social Networking to uncover " (w/ hyprelink)

"Develop a set of test-cases to enabled a federated social Web."
=>
Social Web

"available in a consistent manner across various syntactic serializations (such as RDF, JSON, and XML)."
=>
"available in a consistent manner across various syntactic serializations (such as RDFa, JSON, and XML)."
(as RDF is not a serialisation)

"Develop the notion of provenance of data, which is crucial for a distributed Social Web, into existing and new data formats"
=>
Should we refer to the Provenance XG ?

** State of the Social Web

"es (map]) a"
=>
(map)

"Opening the Social Graph" [OPENGRAPH@@]"
=>
Are you referring to http://bradfitz.com/social-graph-problem/. If so, that's "Thoughts on the Social Graph" by Brad Fitzpatrick, also contributed by David Recordon.

" and lately, the Diaspora iniative."
=>
I'm not in favor of putting Diaspora so strongly here (codebase is really recent, etc.). Probably better to mention the overall federatedsocialweb initiative, also as it includes many players and not emphasise a particular one.

[SCOBLE@@]
=>
http://scobleizer.com/2008/01/03/ive-been-kicked-off-of-facebook/

"Overall interest still remains high as witnessed by the launch in 2010 of products like Vodafone's OneSocialWeb and the open source Diaspora Project, "
=>
Same remark as before

** The Terminology

I think someone already raised that, but I do not understand the "mapping" column.
I think it's more confusing that useful, and I'd rather have only 3 cols in the table.

** The Case for Open Social Web Standards

"OpenId"
=>
OpenID

** FOAF Section
"alice"
=>
Amy (for consistency with the previous examples)

SIOC
=>
http://sioc-project.org

" SIOC vocabulary does as regards user-profiles [@@],"
=>
"regarding user-profiles and user-generated content"

** Tagging section

" Tag. While there have been a long history of various tagging vocabularies, they have converged in the CommonTag vocabulary that solves ambiguity ('apple') and heterogeneity ('socialweb', 'social_web', 'socweb')in tags by means of an additional link to a resource such as URIs from the Linking Open Data project to represent that meaning."
=>
They did not really "converge" towards Commontag.
I suggest:
- There have been a long history of various tagging vocabularies in the past years (TagOntology, SCOT, MOAT). The most recent effort in the area is the CommonTag vocabulary (supported by various players in the Social Web) that solves ambiguity ('apple') and heterogeneity ('socialweb', 'social_web', 'socweb') by means of an additional link to a resource in order to represent the tag's meaning, such as URIs from the Linking Open Data project"

"All of these vocabularies are easily extensible, and CommonTag is supported by Yahoo."
=>
"All of these vocabularies are easily extensible, and CommonTag is supported by various players in the Social Web area (including Yahoo)."

** Activity standards

"As such, this approach has been taken up by a number of federated social web architectures, in particular status.net. @@Who else?"
=>
Not sure you can consider it as Social Web per se, but I'm using it in sparqlPuSH (used in Twarql for pushing semantically-enhanced tweets).
http://code.google.com/p/sparqlpush
It should also be in SMOB in the next days, but maybe too late for the final version of the report.

** SMOB section

"Updates are then down using SPARQL Update, so that interaction consists of exchanging RDF data such as FOAF, but augmented, with a special focus on tags vocabularies like CommonTag."
=>
"FOAF and SIOC" / "CommonTag and MOAT"

** Section "Co-ordinate the Core of Profile Data"

"Users should be able to describe themselves in their profile without any technical restrictions imposed on them by engineers of social networking sites."
=>
I'm not sure engineers are the ones to blame here.
Maybe just "any technical restrictions imposed on them by social networking sites."

"Also, the common core of names should be the same across XML, RDF, and JSON serializations, and be the same across social APIs."
=>
RDF -> RDFa (or "any RDF serialisation")

** Section "Open-ended Descriptions and Rights for Social Media"

"The specifications are also difficult to read and do not have mature, scalable software."
=>
Do not agree re. scalable, I think it should be less emphasised, I'd limit that sentence to the complexity of the specs.

"The Semantic Web needs a vocabulary hosting and management site, possibly managed by the W3C or some other neutral body, that allows users to register and create new vocabularies with a well-defined process"
=>
There are some, e.g. vocab.org / http://open.vocab.org/.
Personally, I'm also not sure that's a central hosting place is the solution, but a central listing may be a plus.
I'd rephrase to "While vocabulary hosting services are already available, Semantic Web users need easy ways to identify and build vocabularies.
That can be done for instance through a central a vocabulary hosting and management site, possibly managed by the W3C or some other neutral body, that allows users to register and create new vocabularies with a well-defined process, or at least through a vocabulary listing website, used to identify vocabularies available on the Web, with their core caracteristics (last activity date, etc.)"

+ Paragraph on SIOC (for the "Social Media Standard" section, I guess)

SIOC

SIOC - Semantically-Interlinked Online Communities - aims at developing a standard vocabulary for representing user-generated content on the Web, using Semantic Web technologies. The SIOC ontology (a W3C member submission, but still evolving) consists in a core vocabulary (with classes such as sioc:UserAccount and sioc:Item) and several modules, in particular a Types one, providing classses for finer-grained content description (sioct:Wiki, sioct:WikiArticle, etc.).
SIOC has strong ties with FOAF, so that it can be used to represent user-generated content from a user represented with FOAF, and that content can be distributed on the Web, following the distributed Social Web vision.
In addition to the vocabulary, various tools have been designed, ranging from APIs to produce SIOC data, to systems identifying, crawling or consuming it. Also, SIOC is supported by Yahoo! SearchMonkey, and is used in Drupal7 as one of the core vocabulary, in order to expose a website's metadata on the Open Web.

HTH,

Alex.