Re: Final report -- semantics

Just reading through the report. Here is a note that as I wrote it down, became long enough to be a post on its own.

Currently:
[[
We respectfully recommend to the W3C areas of future work in which the W3C should play a role:
	• A standardized set of extensible social data formats (possibly in JSON, Atom, RDF, and XML), APIs for access to social data, an architecture based around real-time activity streams.
]]

I would put that rather in terms of semantics. There are a lot of formats out there, and so to standardise at that level would be to be in direct competition with these other formats.

Change to:
[[
	• A RDF semantics that can bind the existing formats together, APIs for access to social data, an architecture based around real-time activity streams.
]]

Then secondly I would not put all of those together in one bullet point. Semantics for all the existing formats is a completely coherent and self contained task. I am not sure how that fits with APIs or activity streams, which is just a very particular type of thing.

So in that case I would perhaps have a semantics section:

[[
	• A number of semantic vocabularies to
          - binding existing formats together
          - for provenance data
          - terms of service ontologies
          - privacy ontologies
          and working with existing standard bodies to provide XSPARQL GRDDL
          transforms from their syntax to the common semantics
]]

The advantage of the semantic layer is that it was clear in my view from the talks
that the other projects do not see this as competitive to what they do. It is a way to tie all the work together and I think they would be happy to participate.

	Henry