From: public-xg-socialweb-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-xg-socialweb-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Melvin Carvalho
Sent: 20 July 2010 17:01
To: Carine Bournez
Cc: Tom Morris; cperey@perey.com; Harry Halpin; public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
Subject: Re: State of Social Web Update

On 17 July 2010 00:09, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

On 17 July 2010 00:05, Carine Bournez <carine@w3.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 02:15:35PM -0400, Tom Morris wrote:
> I agree with Christine.  I'm very concerned about privacy, but I also
> recognize that the general population does not.

It's not true that people are not concerned about privacy, but they
are not sufficiently aware of the risks.

Regarding risks:

Summary of additional findings:

The Webroot survey uncovered that a significant number of people have fallen
prey to criminals who target social network users for attack:

*	Nearly a quarter of respondents (22.4 percent) were victims of a
phishing attempt to steal their social network password.
*	About one in six (16 percent) reported a malware infection in the
past year that originated from a social networking site.
*	One in nine reported at least one of their social network accounts
had been compromised or hijacked.

And if you thought the phishing was bad ....

When asked if they had ever read a partner’s Facebook messages, e-mail or
other electronic correspondence, the men answered thusly:

*	Yes, but only with her knowledge: 23.51%
*	Yes, but only because it was open on her desktop: 13.32%
*	Yes, I broke into her e-mail or messaging account: 8.90%
*	No, but I would if I suspected she was up to something: 21.54%
*	No, I respect her privacy: 32.73%

http://mashable.com/2010/07/20/askmen-survey/

> Sure, and I bet they all would say they are deeply concerned about
> world hunger too, but the editorial (yes, it's an editorial calling
> for more action on privacy), also says:
>
>   "So why are we saying one thing, but doing another when it comes to
privacy?"

> and
>
>   "If half of us are that concerned about privacy, it should stand to
> reason that we would do something about it. However, rather than
> leaving these networks that cause so much concern, people continue to
> sign up: Facebook will be announcing its 500 million user milestone
> any day now, and Foursquare has reached 1.8 million users in its first
> year alone."
>
> It's fine to say that we need to worry about privacy now so that some
> when the general population does begin to care the appropriate
> technologies are available, but I don't see the data to support the
> statement that most users care in any concrete way.

You can't say that people don't care because you found 500 million
users on facebook. There are also lots of people who are not on
facebook and nobody asks them why. Those studies are biaised by design.