Re: State of Social Web Update

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 02:15:35PM -0400, Tom Morris wrote:
> I agree with Christine.  I'm very concerned about privacy, but I also
> recognize that the general population does not.

It's not true that people are not concerned about privacy, but they
are not sufficiently aware of the risks.

> Sure, and I bet they all would say they are deeply concerned about
> world hunger too, but the editorial (yes, it's an editorial calling
> for more action on privacy), also says:
>
>   "So why are we saying one thing, but doing another when it comes to privacy?"
>
> and
>
>   "If half of us are that concerned about privacy, it should stand to
> reason that we would do something about it. However, rather than
> leaving these networks that cause so much concern, people continue to
> sign up: Facebook will be announcing its 500 million user milestone
> any day now, and Foursquare has reached 1.8 million users in its first
> year alone."
>
> It's fine to say that we need to worry about privacy now so that some
> when the general population does begin to care the appropriate
> technologies are available, but I don't see the data to support the
> statement that most users care in any concrete way.

You can't say that people don't care because you found 500 million
users on facebook. There are also lots of people who are not on
facebook and nobody asks them why. Those studies are biaised by design.