Re: size and network value

Hi Henry,

A year ago the SWXG could have considered Social Web size in greater
detail. One meeting (July 22, 2009) was partially dedicated to the topic
of metrics, which is directly related to sizing, monetization and
business models. [1]

But, given the SWXG charter and the composition of the XG participants,
the business issues, including size, were treated "lightly" in the
course of our work since then. Of course, businesses have been
presenting as guests, but the focus has not been on business issues.

Hence, we have chosen to have two out of 30 pages dedicated to the
business topic. This is already generous and I'm not pushing for more.
Based on our conf call on June 30, 2010 I have restructured and made a
few alterations to the section. Please see the latest version [2].
Anyone with an account on the wiki can go into the page and make edits.

Here the chairs (or anyone) can correct me if I am mistaken but the
final report should share with the W3C and the larger community what was
discussed in the XG over 18 months and to make actionable
recommendations for next steps.

I believe that, in the time we have available (short), our
responsibility lies in the development and proper cataloging of the
group's "main" findings, such as gaps in standards, and in making
recommendations on which the W3C and larger community can act.

While the opportunity for developing new metrics and different points of
view on the value of the global social web remains open to anyone who
feels passionately about the subject, it is not in my list of most
pressing objectives.

If, once we have achieved consensus on what is actually missing from the
technical point of view on the entire report [3], there remain resources
which can focus on other aspects, such as global social web size, so
much the better!

Regards,

--
Christine