Fwd: Salmon Protocol

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Panzer <jpanzer@google.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:51 PM
Subject: Salmon Protocol
To: activity-streams@googlegroups.com

All,
You've probably seen a mention of Salmon in the meet-up notes from
last week.  I did a quick presentation and demo of Salmon for the
people in the room at the time, but neglected to actually send a
message to this list as well.  Here's the background:
The Salmon Protocol (http://salmon-protocol.org) is a real time,
decentralized commenting and annotation system.  The basic idea is
that commentary swims upstream to the thing being commented on, which
can then redistribute comments back out to interested subscribers.
It's based on Atom and is intended to be compatible with Activity
Streams -- using thr:in-reply-to and crosspost:source for example --
and is also intended to allow for reverse syndication of activities
such as likes, ratings, etc. that are about an object that has
registered a Salmon endpoint.  That is, if you like an item you
discover in a Salmon-enabled feed, your agent of choice can push the
"like" activity up to an endpoint specified by the original item,
providing more visibility and potential re-publishing of activities
around the web.
There's a demo available at http://salmon-playground.appspot.com/ros
which posts comments back to a Blogger blog (by proxying to an
existing API, just for demo purposes).  Feedback and comments
welcomed.
With regard to activities, I'm interested in a few things:

Making sure everything is compatible (so far this has been done by
being compatible with Atom, which Activity Streams also does, but now
we need to pick and choose extensions like crosspost: so things get
trickier)
Optionally augmenting authorship (I'm interested in standardizing how
to push an author representation that includes nickname of choice and
url of an avatar picture along with the comment.  These can change
over time so pulling from a profile is both insufficient and
inefficient.)
Standardizing a JSON format!  (Salmon has held off on this because I
want to just adopt what Activity Streams does.)

On a side note, it could also be useful to have a structured activity
indicating someone has flagged something as spam/offensive/etc.  Sort
of the inverse of a like, with the results depending on the identity
and reputation of the author.  (Distributed spam control.)  I think
this could be useful for things beyond Salmon, and it has come up in
the context of PubSubHubbub for general feeds already.
--
John Panzer / Google
jpanzer@google.com / abstractioneer.org / @jpanzer