Re: First vCard in RDF and FOAF Future Telecon: May 27th 2:00 UTC (immediately after SWXG telecon)

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
> I'd rather you waited until I was available. I suggest using the time to
> have everyone review the Portable Contacts spec. Following TimBL's mail, I
> agree that addressbook standards need a different spec-management style to
> the rest of FOAF. And from my perspective, that work has been done very well
> in this last year by the Portable Contacts initiative. For those of you not
> familiar with, I suggest taking a look. It draws on Joseph Smarr's knowledge
> (via Plaxo) of real-world vCard deployment, it has XML and JSON
> representations, it has excellent uptake from large scale social network
> implementations, and is pretty close to the hCard microformat profile of
> vCard. It's the best thing around, has smart people and traction, and re
> RDF-ing it I've begun a discussion about them putting up GRDDL on their XML
> namespace. The entire PC spec is rather big property-wise as it includes all
> of the OpenSocial schema too (ie. do you smoke, what relationship are you
> looking for etc etc). But the basics are simple and should be easy to
> RDFize. Having a telecon with attendees who haven't looked at
> portablecontacts.net/draft-spec.html in any detail would probably be a waste
> of everyone's time...

Yes, I agree that looking at Portable Contacts would be a good idea to
begin. Also, given that we're not precisely sure of the future of FOAF
(which I'm sure will start developing quickly!), we can also at least
co-ordinate and produce a single vCard RDF/OWL ontology from the
current
two specifications, ideally with some input from Peter Mika and others
who have seen some vCard RDF use in the wild. Then, at *least* we can
have a stable subset/complement to FOAF 2.0/PortableContactsRDF.

We need to double-check to see if not only are there any open vCard in
RDF problems (I think we resolved them, in particular the use of
v;VCard as not necessary, i.e. that "adr" properites and the like can
belong to people, not just business cards)  at the face-to-face in
Madrid, but not sure.

Lastly, we need to double-check to see if there are any substantive
changes to vCard-in-XML (whose rather spam-filled mailing list is here
[1] and whose last spec is here [2]).

Anything else that should be put on the agenda?

[1] http://www.imc.org/ietf-vcard-xml/mail-archive/
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-01