Re: ACTION [CONTINUES] Use Cases on Privacy and Context

Renato,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au> wrote:

> On 20 May 2009, at 08:28, Oshani Seneviratne wrote:
>
>> 1. Intransitivity of Rules/Policies Applied to Social Network Data
>

> Oshani - in this above example, Alice has given permission to Bob for her
> photos to be "viewed and used by her friends". Assuming that "used" is a
> "reproduce permission", then Bob can take these photos and re-publish them
> publicly. (ie no violation on Alice's policy)

Assume that "use" means to "republish the data for the benefit of that
individual only".
So, yes, as you said, when Bob publishes, there's no violation of
Alice's policy. But if Charlie (a friend of Bob's, but who is not a
friend of Alice's) uses Alice's data that Bob has republished, then it
is a violation of Alice's policy. But Charlie has not violated Bob's
policy, because Bob has has given a blanket policy saying anybody can
use the data he publishes for any purpose.

The point I wanted to make here is that, when "social data" transfers
from one individual to another in a social network, even though these
individuals have complied with the immediate privacy policy, there
might be some other policy further up which they could be violating
without them knowing.

Oshani