Re: Privacy Jungle: Data Protection in Social Networks

On 15 Jun 2009, at 12:28, Karl Dubost wrote:
> (1): Full privacy doesn't exist. There is always someone in the
> room, the provider of the service, except if communications are
> crypted. I very rarely use the term privacy but I talk about opacity.

That need not be the case. With foaf+ssl [1] it would be completely
feasible for you to place all your information and your family's on a
server that you controlled physically, and yet still participate in a
social network in a way very similar to what is now possible with
FaceBook, LinkedIn, Flickr, etc... except of course that the networks
would be distributed.

Henry

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/foaf+ssl