Re: Twitter and Iran Elections

Le 16 juin 2009 à 14:46, Harry Halpin a écrit :
> I'm sure everyone has now heard about the roll Twitter is playing in

s/Twitter/$coolAppOfTheMoment/

> the current protests in Iran (apparently 15,000 tweets an hour, which
> I'm trying to follow rather unsuccessfully).

Twitter is irrelevant. It was just the tool of the moment: It could
have been smoke signs, drums, whistling, sms, etc. oh Wait It might
have been those too ;) but the media found a new puppet to push on the
front line.

> Yet, would it not be better to have a
> technical solution rather than rely on the U.S. govt. asking Twitter
> not to postpone their maintenance?

How to instrumentalize and give a colour to a news. Marketing. Let's
not fall in the trap.

> So, to sketch a use case - how can investment in such an open stack
> help people not have their social web services so easily shut down,
> either inadvertently (such as when a server crashes) or on purpose
> (such as a government using the domain name system or legal threats to
> shut down a single social networking or blogging site)?

This is the important part of it but that's not news. :)

Check the "Anonymous Blogging with Wordpress & Tor" guide among others.
http://advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org/projects/guide/

Le 16 juin 2009 à 14:57, Alex Korth a écrit :
> Opera Unite [2], i.e. hosted by the users themselves. Opera Unite
> based Microblogging, hey that's cool! ;)

You just have to block unite.opera.com domain for shutting down
everything. Not really distributed.

Le 16 juin 2009 à 15:08, Dan Brickley a écrit :
> The big different today seems to be APIs.

Orthogonality of access (web browser, search engines, proxy) and
interactions (web services). Indeed the API helps to design a better
flexibility.

> I'm told the concept of "re-tweet" (well, re-dent) will be in a
> future identica/laconica release. This should make it easier to
> programmatically retrace the sourcing of microblog'd comment...

which can be an issue, because identi.ca is centralized for now.
My wish is that laconi.ca would be easily installable on each machine
and could communicate with each other (maybe through dynamic dns) with
caching messages for later.

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada