Links and Readings for Nathan Eagle (MIT/Santa Fe Institue) and "reality-mining"

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:03:20 +0100
To: public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
Next telecon (this Wednesday, the 19th, the first after our summer
hiatus) will feature Nathan Eagle (thanks Hakon for point us in his
direction!), the well-known researcher who is using context
information and social network information for  "reality mining".

We hope to have some insight into what kind of standards researchers
would like from the Social Web. Two representative works of his to
read are:

"Behavioral Inference across cultures: Using Telephones as a cultural nes:
http://reality.media.mit.edu/pdfs/culture.pdf

"Smartphones: An Emerging Tool for Social Scientists"
http://reality.media.mit.edu/pdfs/Raento09.pdf

He says "Standards on the operator level / teleco equipment vendor
would be really useful - although that seems to be happening.  Context
logging standards would somewhat useful as well for large scale
analytics. "

When reading and talking to Dr. Eagle, let's try to think of at least
these (and more!) questions:

1) What kinds of social information can be gathered from mobile
phones, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of current
techniques of doing so to researchers? Could standards help?

2) How can this information be gathered in ways that respect user's
privacy? How do current approaches allow a measure of privacy, or not?

    cheers,
           harry