Re: Revised version of Proposed XG Recommendation

On 1/4/09 5:16 PM, ashok malhotra wrote:

> Kingsley:
> I don't see how these examples help make the case that the W3C should
> start an effort to
> standardize a language for mapping from Relational data to RDF and OWL.
The examples below are about the issues relating to: What does Rdb2RDf
deliver above and beyond SQL. Another way of articulating the value
prop. to a SQL audience (e.g. Decision Makers looking at world from the
SQL vantage point). This is about the collection of material required
for answering the question posed by William Hayes at the last Semantic
Web Gathering etc.
> The usecases make the point that such a standard will facilitate data
> integration and publishing Relational
> data on the web.  I'm happy to add another usecase as long as it
> illustrates how the solution of an an important problem will be
> facilitated by this technology.
With regards to the above, I don't know how familiar SQL Schemas for
each of the major DBMS engines, passed through the process of Rdb2Rdf
using the examples below isn't a use case.

Here is my definition of a usecase re. the examples:
Demonstrating the data exploration, integration, and discovery prowess
of RDF based Linked Data via DBMS realm specific demo / tutorial SQL
databases.

> The survey document has pointers to several special-purpose
> technologies that have been used to map Relational data to RDF and
> OWL.  It includes a pointer to your webpage where I presume these
> examples can be found.
As per above, my fundamental point is this: if we are trying to
demonstrate the value / utility (via use-cases) of Rdb2Rdf to an RDBMS
based audience, lets do so using SQL Schemas that are known across the
board.

I think simple examples provide simple mechanisms for exposing value.
Try to put aside the fact that these demos exist using Virtuoso's Meta
Schema Language, and orient thinking more towards how we articulate the
value in the simplest possible way using the simplest anecdotal material :-)

Kingsley

--

Regards,

President&  CEO