Re: Revised version of Proposed XG Recommendation

On 1/2/09 12:16 PM, ashok malhotra wrote:
> I did some work on this over the holidays which included adding the
> two usecases.
> I'll be happy to add more usecases if folks want to write them.
>
> Please take a careful look.  We are getting close to the deadline so
> you close scrutiny is important.
Ashok,

I think we should add a case study that is based on a well known RDBMS
schema.

At the current time we have complete Rdf2Rdb examples for the sample
databases associated with the following DBMS engines:

1.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtRDFViewsOracleHrDb
- Oracle (HR DD)
2.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtRDFViewsDB2SampleDb
- DB2 (Sample DB)
3.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtRDFViewNorthwind
- SQL Server (Northwind DB)
4.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtRDFViewsInformixStoresDemo
- Informix (Stores DB)
5.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtRDFViewsIngresTutDb
- Ingres (Tutorial DB)
6.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtRDFViewsProgressSQ92ISports
- Progress
7.
http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/dataspace/dav/wiki/Main/VirtRDFViewsSybasePubs2Db
- Sybase (Pubs2)

As you know, the DBMS communities consistently use the default
demonstration databases as ground-zero for all tutorial material. Thus,
as part of a broader effort to engage the RDBMS community in general, we
should include mappings examples based on each of the above. Ideally,
their should be Triplify and D2RQ variants of what we've done to balance
out this effort.

When a person from any of the DBMS realms above poses the question: What
does Rdb2Rdf facilitate above and beyond what SQL currently offers,
there should be a set of pages in place that demonstrate the fundamental
point: record-level data access by reference using HTTP based
Identifiers. An example of such pages:

1.
http://demo.openlinksw.com/about/html/http://demo.openlinksw.com/Northwind/Customer/ALFKI%23this
- Page about "ALFKI" an Entity in the Northwind Database
2.
http://data.openlinksw.com/about/html/http://data.openlinksw.com/oplweb/product_release/virtuoso-uim-unisvr-ent/5.0/x86_64-sun-solaris2.10-64/virt50%23this
- Page about a specific release of Virtuoso for the Solaris x86_64
platform .

Happy New Year!

--

Regards,