Re: CORRECTION Terminology: Data Source & Domain Ontologies

I see two aspects.

If the SQL schema has been modeled with rich semantics, then applying a
direct mapping method would automatically create the ontology based on the
sql schema, hence automatically create RDF from the RDB. So this is an easy
step for who ever needs a quick and dirty solution. I just submitted a paper
to WWW09 where we show how direct mapping can be enough and useful.

The other aspect is that by creating the data source ontology, the problem
has been shifted to another representation: an ontology to ontology mapping
problem. The semantic web depends also on mapping ontologies, so this is
something that I believe will be solved little by little.

The poster that I presented at ISWC elaborates on my vision of solving the
integration of relational databases and the semantic web in a 2 step
process. First step is to do direct mapping. Second step is to do ontology
matching incorporating other techniques. See here [1] for more detail if
interested.

[1]
http://ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-401/iswc2008pd_submission_74.pdf

Juan Sequeda, Ph.D Student