Re: RIF and RDB2RDF

From: Sören Auer <auer@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 15:16:37 -0500
To: ashok.malhotra@oracle.com
CC: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>, "public-xg-rdb2rdf@w3.org" <public-xg-rdb2rdf@w3.org>

ashok malhotra wrote:
> The proposal is that RIF be one possible syntax for the mapping
> language, not the only syntax, correct?
>
> Seems reasonable.  A rule consists of 2 parts and in our case the parts
> may be, say, the name of an OWL class and the SQL query that can be used
> to query that class,

I see the use of RIF more in the spirit of using datalog (which are
essentially also rules) for data integration. So the head of the rule
defines the resulting class, while the tail selects predicates (from the
relational DB).

This seems to be consistent with slide 5 of Axel's talk, which we
unfortunately did not manage to discuss today since some of the syntax
there is not completely obvious to me.

Have a nice weekend!

Sören