Re: Full draft of final report

Hi Yolanda et al.,

The report looks very nice, thank you very much! I would like to discuss
one point while the document is still a draft.

I understand that some concepts were preserved in our final list of
provenance concepts because they would not be capture by other concepts
in the list. With that in mind, I would say that most of us consider
mutable and immutable resources to be distinct concepts but that we are
considering them to be a single concept named ’resource’ for the sake of
keeping things simple. My major issue with this combination of concepts
is that we are also ignoring a third concept that describes how mutable
and immutable resources are connected (e.g., how a version of a document
relates to the document).

At some point during the list compilation, we were using the term
‘resource’ to be an immutable resource corresponding to opm:Artifact.
Furthermore, we used to have ‘source’ as a mutable resource (and being
the concept corresponding to pml:Source). Finally, we also used to have
SourceUsage as a concept capable of connecting mutable and immutable
resources. Distinctions between these important concepts are all gone in
this final report and I am not just sure why – they are not really
capture by other concepts in the list. Can we just put Source and
SourceUsage back to the list? In fact, I am wondering how useful would
be a provenance language with a single resource that can be mutable and
immutable.

Cheers,
Paulo.